Categorized |Beef

Savory oxtail in a rich and thick gravy.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Savory oxtail in a rich and thick gravy.”.

160 Responses to “Savory oxtail in a rich and thick gravy.”

1. tfrompa says:

I am cook the oxtail right now!!
    I am so excited!!!
    I was just thinking it would be nice if you had a place on the site where you can just show the recipe without the pictures. I mad it more difficult for me to follw with all the pictures. The pictures were very helpful but I would have like to have a part with just the words
    Just a thought
    Thanks for recipe!

• jumbieg says:

I tried installing a plugi another visitor suggested that would allow for text only (leave out the pics) but I just couldn't get it to work. hopefully I'll have a solution soon.

2. Tony says:

Thanks for the recipe. I didn’t have tomatoes or ketchup so I used 1 tbsp of tomato paste. Turned out very good.

3. Darlene says:

Thanks I will use this recipe for my oxtails. I have to do some shopping for different ingredients.

4. AL A. says:

Yes oxtails have become expensive to buy, So I have subsituted, pork neck bones for this recipe, & will try it real soon, thanks Chris for sharing your recipes.

5. peter thomas says:

hi chris I love oxtail and it used to be so inexpensive, let me tell you those days have gone, over here in the UK the price of oxtail has rocketed in a big way, so much so that it has become a bit of a luxury, mores the pity, still good to eat though, mmmmmmm :))))

• jumbieg says:

the very same thing started happening here once the butchers started seeing all the immigrants buying it up. prices went up.. however there are times when it goes on sale. No joke.. I saw a guy full a shopping cart one time it went on sale.

6. Hello Nay and Trish, thanks for taking the time to leave your comments.

happy cooking

chris
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..El Yucateco Salsa Picante De Chile Habanero Green Hot Sauce Review. =-.

7. nay says:

8. Trish Barnard (UK) says:

Always been a fan of oxtail but cooked it in the traditional UK way. This recipe is delicious, i was sorry to dish it up for the rest of the family i wanted it all to myself.

Thanks for the recipes, keep them coming.

Trish

9. nay says:

hay thanks i will be looking you up for more help in the kitchen

10. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Cee, I see my youngest sister being in the same boat as you. We were spoiled by our mom and dad to a lesser extent as far as cooking goes. However since I moved to Canada at an early age and had to do things for myself I developed a love for cooking.

Michael, I asked the butcher to cut it for me before leaving the store. Just sk anyone at the meat section of your grocery store to cut it on their band saw and I’m sure they’ll do it for you.

Rinji, thanks for the tip. Though I’ve never had tripe before or stew goat, I know it’s great cooking chicken and pork this way.

Happy cooking all.

Chris
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..The 2009 Ancaster Home Show. =-.

• Peter and Janet says:

Thank you so much for such a great recipe, It was my first time making this recipe yesterday. I have made different types of oxtail stew from different culture like from brazil, spain, armenia and so fort, but this one was the best one i ever made so far it was so delicious. My husband said i should make this again more often.

11. Rinji says:

This recipe is great!

It also works well with goat meat, and beef tripe!

Just substitute the oxtails for any meats you'd like and it's STILL great! (:

• Anita M says:

Yes Rinji! Glad someone knows that. OXTAILS are expensive as heck, esp. with a large family.
      One older Jamaican woman told me she uses…u ready?….turkey necks for all the kids she has!
      I like using chuck roast because i no i'm not paying for bones! Just have to slow cook it in the oven WITHOUT all the water covering it. Then make your gravy above and put roast in it to simmer!
      Delious!!!! I love Caribbeanpot RECIPES!!!
      Thanks
      Anita M.

12. michael says:

How did you cut the ox tail into 2 inch pieces? Do you have a technique to cut through the bone?

• MILO says:

The butcher at the meat market where you purchase it can cut it up for you. If you are in New York, it is more econominical to purchase a box fri $43.00. Hope this helps. I use lots of fine thyme for flavouring.

13. cee says:

Hey,

Just wanted to thank you for such a great tutorial. I’m one of those spoiled brats who grew up with my mother cooking all my meals. So, as an adult, I didn’t know how to prepare West Indian dishes. This was just what I needed. Can’t wait to try out more of my favorite recipes on this site. Thanks again.

Cee

14. Bron says:

Great looking recipe and brilliant site. Seriously love the unctuous richness of oxtail. I’ll be back!
    .-= Bron´s last blog ..Ham hock slow cooked in chinese stock =-.

15. Jude says:

Been having so much oxtail lately I’m about to grow one. Weird, but I think this may be my favorite part of the cow.
    [rq=190394,0,blog][/rq]Pompe à l’Huile – Sweet Olive Oil Bread