Categorized |Beef, Bits and Bites, Pork

Simple Guyanese Pepperpot Recipe.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Simple Guyanese Pepperpot Recipe.”.

25 Responses to “Simple Guyanese Pepperpot Recipe.”

1. Lorraine Delsol says:

My husband is Guyanese so I will be making pepperpot for the first time and I have chosen to use your recipe from all the others that I have looked up. (I plan to add the cloves)

2. SHQA says:

A long story, to share with everyone. My Chinese-Guyanese-born mother, who lived in Trinidad, cooked the best pepperpot that our Trinidadian friends and family loved. Unfortunately, I never wrote down the recipe, so my dish is not authentic “Guyanese”. I use a pressure cooker (the best invention for the stove top), and cook beef short ribs. Pork and beef are so lean in USA, that the cooked meat is stringy or tough. Belly pork, that can be found in the Chinatown and Korean meat markets, is ideal for pepperpot, but pork fat is not in style. I cannot find decent pickled pigtail, which was one of my Mom’s pepperpot ingredients. I am going to try your recipe this weekend.

3. Prabdeep says:

If I do cook it in a slow cooker, I would have to reduce the water. How much water do you recommend putting in the slow cooker?

4. Jerry-AbramsZuil says:

Growing up in Canada, this is my favourite and strongest connection with the land of my birth. My father and aunt always compete over who makes the best pepperpot, and for the last few years I have made it, too. Last year I messed it up; the casareep was FAKE, re-bottled molasses and soy sauce from a small local Caribbean store :-(

My grandmother brought the real stuff from back home, and this Christmas I will use YOUR recipe Chris. Wish me luck, and thank you for the great description and video!

5. Hi! I have a question. I noticed that most West Indians cook in one of those rounded bottom cast aluminium pots. I know that everything seems to taste fantastic when food is cooked in those pots but I’ve always held back from purchasing one since it is a well known fact that aluminium causes Alzheimer…did you know that? And is there something else you know about this? I’d love to buy one but don’t want the risks……thanks for answering back. I love your recipes….I am married to a Guyanese man and living in Quebec, I don’t need to tell you that he feels like a blessed man having all his favorite dishes made for him! Lol….the saying is true….you can have a man eating out of your hand through good food!
    Chat Conversation End

6. this website was very helpful love it thanks

7. Sandy says:

Can anyone recommend a good brand of casareep and where to buy it?

8. Teresa says:

Hi! I am new to comments section but not to this site. I have tried this dish before with great success and will be trying it again tonight for our breakfast tomorrow. I expect good results aka “mom I want more” from my 2 teen sons!!

9. Serena says:

I was introduced to pepper pot a few years ago by my now ex partner. Who’s mum is Guyanese and cooked it each Christmas. I fell in love with it. For me the only way to describe the amazing flavours is “Christmas in a dish”. Since we split I have been looking for a simple recipe. Now I have found this I will not be waiting until Christmas to try it. Thank you

10. Shoshi says:

Hi! I live in Hayward, CA and have a very small senior apartment, not ideal for cooking (have done a lot, but don’t think I can make pepperpot) Just wondered if anyone knows of a restaurant in the SF area that makes pepperpot, so I can finally have some of this delicious dish??? I would truly appreciate such info or an invitation to a creative cook’s dining room??? Any help would be truly appreciated!

Shoshi Tuttle

11. Melva M. says:

Awesome dish on Christmas Eve. This was my first time making Pepperpot, it was a great hit with family.

12. Beverley says:

This recipe sounds ideal for dinner on Christmas Eve, really looking forward to giving it a go. I think my children will appreciate the effort. I’m hoping I can substitute cassareep with molasses, vinegar and lime juice.
    Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a prosperus New Year.Thankyou so for sharing your wonderful recipes.

• Anthony says:

+Beverley, like Chris said the flavor comes from the casreep.This is the one thing you do not want to substitute. You can find it at any West Indian store, below is a link to what the bottles may look like. Also add the 4 to 6 cloves if you do not dislike them.

13. Holly says:

Chris, I am so happy that you have shared this recipe. I am Guyanese and I always make it with my pressure cooker. Thanks for the tip about the flavour being better developed with slow cooking. I will try that method this year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

14. Glendean Rochester says:

I was thinking about asking you for this recipe because I have so many different versions of it with contradictions that I stop trying to cook it. I love it very much. After seeing your version I am definately going to cook this dish for Christmas.
    Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy New year to you and your family Chris.
    Glendean

15. Bettyann says:

Chris, can you use a crockpot for this?