Categorized |Bits and Bites, Fish

How To Make Saltfish Accras.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “How To Make Saltfish Accras.”.

81 Responses to “How To Make Saltfish Accras.”

1. Simone says:

Just tried this. Perfection.
    I got about 28. They seem to be sized similar to yours so if at the end you had 12….. well you really sampled heartily while cooking!
    Hubby said it needs chutney, settled for store bought kutchela

2. John Sweeney says:

Growing up in Montserrat, never paid attention as my Mom cooked. Thanks Caribbean pot, you are a perfect substitute teacher.
    Fantastic videos.

3. Slim says:

This is a great recipe, Trinidadians use salt fish in many dishes & this is just one of them. The ingredients listed are perfect & the egg I think adds to the pillowy softness of the Accra that can be eaten long after it comes out the fryer. My parents actually knead all the ingredients in a dough and it comes out good as well but I much prefer the batter consistency. Thanks for posting this recipe.

4. Annette says:

Here in Barbados making fishcakes is a huge part of our culture for centuries. We fry them in a buckpot (cast iron skillet) and serve between bajan salt bread! Glad the recipe is spreading! For those who have it available 1/4 teasp broad leaf thyme finely chopped adds to the flavour. In order to avoid the odor of boiling the fish you can either add a couple drops of lemon juice to the water or simply soak the fish beforehand in a large bowl of cold water for a couple hours changing the water at least two to three times.
    What I do is buy my fish in bulk, break it up, soak it and package it in serving portions. Store in freezer. That way it’s ready for use when needed! Sure enjoy the recipes!

• admin says:

Had a few when I was in Barbados last fall.. Been meaning to make/present that version here. Thx for sharing

5. Cherrie says:

I’ve lived in Texas for 21 years, so I haven’t had accra in as many years. I found some cod fish on sale so I decided to try accra. To my surprise, it was awesome. My husband who is American asked me why I’m holding out on him. I’m having some friends over and I’m planning on these as an appetizer. i also made tamarind sauce to go along with them. It was a hit. Will be making them very often from now on. Thanks for the recipe.

6. Ronetta Billy says:

Hi from Saint Lucia,

I’ve been looking for a Caribbean website with our local recipes and finally. Today is Good Friday so I’m trying these acras for the first time. Wish me luck.

Love how you explained with visible graphics. I’ve subscribe.

Have a blessed day all!

7. jen says:

My husband has never eaten saltfish Accra in his entire life and I have not had it in years but the recipe has eluded me a bit thanks for the assistance

8. jen says:

My husband never had it and I have not made it in years I’m going to make it for dinner tonight .

9. Esther Charles says:

hello

10. Lydia Tauwnaar says:

this really looks great. lovely snack for my curious european friends. thanks, Chris

11. MoeJo says:

My absolute favorite

12. Debbie says:

Hi Chris,
    This is a great tasty dish, can tuna be used instead?

Debbie

13. Vince.Calderon says:

Chris I will be trying this out for the new year as this is a St.Lucian thing

14. Carissa says:

Thank you so much I am a young mother , with Caribbean background and your website has helped me so much when learning to prepare foods. I truly appreciate what your doing and please do not ever stop.

15. Ann Marie says:

Hello:

this looks great, want to try, but for health reasons could they be baked instead of fried (do not laugh)
    thanks