Categorized |Chicken, Gluten Free

Pelau, the first guest invited to every beach lime.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Pelau, the first guest invited to every beach lime.”.

145 Responses to “Pelau, the first guest invited to every beach lime.”

1. Elizabeth says:

This may be a dumb question, but when im bringing it back to a boil then covering the pot and allowing it to simmer…should it still be on boil, or is that when i turn the stove off?

2. Niki says:

Hi Chris! I tried your pelau recipe and my pelau came out perfectly! My boyfriend is already asking me when I’m going to make it again. Never in my life did i think that I would be able to make pelau. I am looking forward to trying your other recipes!!
    Thank you!

3. jp764.

re: Pork. If you like your pork as tender as I do, allow it to cook for about 40 minutes (slow heat) before adding the rice etc. This way by the time the rice is done cooking, the pork will be tender.

For a grainy pelau, use a little less water, but cook on a low heat (covered) to ensure that rice cooks through. If you find that you’ve achieve the grainy texture you like, and there’s still liquid remove the lid and the liquid should evaporate.

Happy Cooking.
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..Profile of the Fiery Scotch Bonnet Pepper. =-.

4. Chris says:

Re: Kimberly. When I first moved to Canada I too used white sugar, but I soon found that the colour and taste was not as rich as I was used to. As for the pot, you may be on to something. I use both a heavy “seasoned” pot and a stainless steel one and I do agree that the “seasoned” one does give a better final product.

BTW, make sure you get the golden brown and not the dark brown sugar.

Re: Cynthia, Sounds delicious. Lately when I visit my mom She’s been making tomato choka as a side for her pelau. The heat, garlic and rich tomato flavour works great to increase your appetite.

Happy cooking

Chris…
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..How to write a letter asking for Corporate Sponsorship. =-.

5. Kimberly says:

I am loving these recipes and its so true how everyone has their own twist to the same recipe. I am used to using white sugar when I’m browning but I do find that it can burn really quick if you are not watching it. I’ve never tried brown sugar, do you find that it makes a darker color or more flavor when you use brown sugar? Also, I have learned that you need a nice seasoned steel pot to really accomplished this. I cannot wait to try it this way with brown sugar.

6. Cynthia says:

You make me so hungry with these posts!

Tomorrow I am making Guyanese cook-up rice with beef, tripe, salted pig-tail with split peas. On the side, I am frying some ripe plantains and steaming some okra. A little cucumber and tomato chow and I am in heaven. Of course some boiled scotch bonnets will be in de pot! (lol)
    .-= Cynthia´s last blog ..In Love & Mahi Mahi =-.

7. Thanks for the wonderful comments to date. @Kimberly.. great to hear that you were successful. Do try some other recipes and leave your thoughts.

@E’sSential Catering. Start off by using 2/3 the water the recipe calls for. Then add more accordingly if the rice is not fully cooked. The idea is to use only as much water needed to get to the texture you like.

@Beverley we too in TnT love off on the mauby!..and sorrel when in season.

Keep commenting people :)
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..The Burlington Ribfest, Dubbed Canada’s Largest Ribfest =-.

8. E'sSential Catering says:

I made this dish once (not your recipe) and although it was flavorful and delicious, I was unhappy with how mushy the rice came out. I’ve been afraid to tackle this recipe ever since. Maybe I’ll try it one more time :)

9. Kimberly says:

I made this today. My sisters husband is from Trinidad and she is always talking about the great food. Especially this one. This recipe was crazy easy and soooo good!! Thanks!!

10. Beverley says:

For us in Barbados it is pelau with coleslaw and lettuce. And mauby. That is the thing. Bring it on!!

11. Elijah says:

Let me tell you something. What I truly love about pelau is that no two people make it the same. A great compliment to a nice pot of pelau is a water crest salad with an ice cold glass of mauby (or carib if it’s your day off)!

I’m going to start testing your recipes man!
    [rq=106813,0,blog][/rq]Project: Internet Safety Tips

12. Abigail says:

Very interesting. I’ve only recently heard of the bottled browning and wondered if it was more widely used. Apparently not. The cruise ships do come here quite often now so let me know if you’re stopping. We could cook a pelau on the beach together.

13. Chris De La Rosa says:

Abigail, the only time I’ve ever use it is when the browning process was not successful and I add some of the bottled stuff to give the dish a that nice dark (golden) colour.

I (and my mom) only use the bottled stuff to add as a last resort. But I’m sure there are many people who will opt for this method to cut back on cooking and prep time.

I’ve been to many of the wonderful Caribbean islands, but I’ve never had the opportunity to visit BVI. Maybe our next cruise?

14. Abigail says:

I LOVE pelau…and we eat it on the beach here in the BVI too. Pelau with chicken is most common but it’s great with conch too. Do you ever use the ready-made browning in a bottle from Trinidad for this instead of the sugar?

15. Student says:

Chris, my pot not big like yours! LOL I found out the hard way, but it still tasted great… I was cooking very cautiously to keep water from bubbling over.

1. […] texture better in a pelau.  Devica always uses brown rice.  There a good discussion about pelau here at the Chris De La Rosa’s Caribbean […]