Categorized |Fish, Vegetarian

Pong-up yam with saltfish!

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Pong-up yam with saltfish!”.

15 Responses to “Pong-up yam with saltfish!”

1. Sato says:

Delicious!!! Can substitute dasheen, cassava, green fig for the yam and also substitute smoked herring for the saltfish. I also cook garlic till golden brown then add the provision and saltfish.

2. Phylicia says:

This recipe reminds me of my mom’s cooking
    she had a motter to pung her yam. This just bring
    back so many memories. Thanks Chris I’m definitely
    going to try your way!!

3. Rosalind Conliffe says:

Real thing! This is a great old time recipe, I had mine with more onion and thyme and in the Caribbean right now pears are plentiful. My pear was pickled.

4. Sherry says:

Wow, this dish remind me of my grandma……thanks Chris i have try this recipe for my in laws .I am sure they are going to be impressed.

5. Steve says:

Real trini style food,nice cook for the river lime…lol…

6. Liddy says:

Hi

Can I use a food processor for the Pong up yam?

I will try that with Vincentian white yam and let you know how it turns out.I am trying to grow pimento peppers ( we call them flavor pepper) as I find bell pepper flavor offputting in some dishes, especially when cooked

7. Mani says:

What’s the nutritional content of pound yam or pounded yam (Africa)?

8. swan says:

I never acquired a taste for yam; but you cannot stop me from trying pong-up dasheen instead, By the way, have you ever tried fried dasheen….AMAZING!!!!

9. ken says:

I being a lover of eddoes did this dish with the eddoes instead of yam.

10. JackVSage says:

Would camote (Spanish) or kamote (Pinoy) be a good choice for the yam? I couldn't find a photo of it, but I did find a video of some cut-up camote: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/08/24/filipino-foo

11. carol says:

Chris this recipe is a must try. I am imagining myself eating it. Thanks.

12. Randy says:

Mi fus had sal fish and yam in St. Elizabeth, Jam…..mon it was the most satisfying dish me had in da yaad. And the breadfruit also was gooooodddddd

13. Cynthia says:

This makes me think of fufu.
    .-= Cynthia´s last blog ..No flipping pancakes for me… Drop them! =-.

• admin says:

Cynthia, funny you should mention fufu. Back in my high school days we took a school trip to Canada’s Wonderland. A friend and I decided we were going to eat our other friends lunch while he was on a ride. It was something (if I recall correctly) like fufu, with some stewed meat as a topping. Well we ate his entire lunch, then decided to go on one of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in North America. Yes, we learned not to “steal” our friend’s food and never go on such rides after eating. it was a total mess.

happy cooking