Categorized |Bits and Bites, Vegetarian

Make room for Sada Roti, Pita Bread.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Make room for Sada Roti, Pita Bread.”.

52 Responses to “Make room for Sada Roti, Pita Bread.”

1. Londonlime says:

beautifully illustrated! just passing this onto my bro to make with choka.

2. Karisha says:

Hi Chris: Roti flour has to be mixed different from T'dad. Our air is dry. Therefore, one should use tepid (warm) water. Remember you are not making pastry,( whereby you would use cold water). About the baking powder: To every cup of flour you add 1 teaspoon of double-a- action baking powder(blue ribbon). When mixing the flour make sure it looks and feel wet. When all the flour is mixed and you are ready to knead it, then and only then you add dry flour accordingly. I use a 4inch high alluminum pot. Never have to microwave to swell. Heat should be set a few notches above medium.

3. Doonwati says:

Hi Chris, I've been freezing this kind of roti for a very long time now and it freezes very well but you have to know how to reheat it else you will end up getting a rock instead of a roti. I learned to reheat it after getting a few rocks myself. When reheating it make sure that you take it out of the Microwave before it gets heated through. Remember anything that's cooking in the Microwave will continue cooking after it is out, so you got to be extremely careful in the process.

4. Marissa says:

Question: Is there any difference between normal baking powder and double acting baking powder when making the sada roti? All the baking powder available in the US seems to be the double-acting type and my mother (in Trinidad) says it means I should use half of the baking powder the recipe calls for.

• karisha says:

Hi Marissa: Use the double acting baking powder. 1 teaspoon to 1 cup flour. Also, do not use cold water. Use tepid water

5. WIQueen says:

From Barbados: For the Ground Provisions alternative name…I know it as Stew Food as well. Anytime we heard Stew Food for after-school lunch, it meant steamed or boiled provisions usually with a butter-gravy or salt fish stew/ gravy and ALWAYS includes dumplings!! (not the soup kind, the softer, bigger and fluffier kind.

6. Marissa says:

Had to comment. I've always been daunted to make sada roti even though I've seen my mom do it a gazillion times, and my MIL also showed me how to. But I'm a recipe person, I like measurements and steps, unlike those older pros who "know just how much & how to" without a measurement or a glance at the clock. This recipe was so easy to follow, much easier than the one in my trusty Naps Cookbook! My roti came out PERFECT for the first time ever. I'm in Orlando, and needed only 1cup water. Have no tawa, no rolling pin; used a frying pan and a bottle of olives, and the microwave method. Thank you. My husband is going to be a happy man! :)

7. Eileen says:

I made this roti to go with your ultimate curry chicken. The chicken was delicious , but the roti did not turn out well at all. I swelled it in the microwave and only a little corner of it puffed up, not at all like your pictures. The rotis were also a little bit too chewy. Any idea what I did wrong?

8. Liisa says:

My neighbors are Trini's and my son is always over there eating. He loves it! So, hopefully, I can reproduce some of these recipes at least. My husband is also from St. Lucia, so he is looking forward to it as well. I'm from Finland so I have a little bit more trepidation than they do…but I'm gonna try!

9. Gilda says:

Hello Chris:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I like the fact that it does not require oil the way most other roti recipes do, and it seems very simple to make. I'll definitely give it a try.

• jumbieg says:

yes, the oil can be a turnoff with most roti, since it adds a very unhealthy aspect to it. But they're so tasty :) Thx for stopping by and commenting

10. philis says:

Hi Chris, you make cooking seem like a breeze, I always anxiously await your next recipe. Keep up the good work.

11. sheena says:

HI Chris, Im from the virgin islands(tortola) and I love roti and i also reside in Boston………How can u make the roti skin as an easy recipe???

• jumbieg says:

I assume you mean dhalpourie (one with the filling)? I'm trying to get my mom to help me with that recipe.. stay tuned and I'll have something for you.

12. monica says:

Hi Chris,

I am new carribean pot and I really enjoy your recipes. It so refreshing to have you as a guide to many old and new creations.
    Thanks

• jumbieg says:

Monica, thanks for your kind comments and support. it's appreciated.

• Marjorie says:

Hey Cris, I live in Brooklyn and I just happened to get on your cooking website and I joined and I am really enjoying your recipes. So much so that I shared it with my sis-in-law in Canada. She loves cassava pone so I sent her the recipe and now she is also on the site. You are teaching me to mke so many Caribbean food, I really appreciate.
        Thanks again.
        Marjorie

13. Elaine says:

Chris is this the same recipe for making the ordinary roti? I thought some fat of some sort had to be included.

14. Wendy says:

Thanks for the tip about using the microwave. I’m still practicing getting this right. Also, thanks for your warm greetings.

• jumbieg says:

The microwave trick is the way i learned, since we had an electric stove and it didn't work well without an open flame.

happy cooking

• Adella says:

Hi… I use an electric stove and it works perfect, I use the circular ring which comes with a wok which fits perfectly around the big burner of the stove and then place the tahwah on it.

15. yolande says:

sada sounds easy, but do I grease the tawa with oil?

• jumbieg says:

I've never had to, but if you find that your roti is sticking, you may have too a little. The key is to find the right temp.. not low and not too high (not sure if that helps)

1. […] tender pieces of this lamb cooked in the coconut curry sauce will be outstanding as a side for roti, ground provisions, rice, dumplings or even something as simple as a side salad. If you’re adding […]