Categorized |Bits and Bites

Some BBQ tips and techniques for finger licking ribs.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Some BBQ tips and techniques for finger licking ribs.”.

26 Responses to “Some BBQ tips and techniques for finger licking ribs.”

1. Joe says:

Hey Chris!
    Have you ever tried steaming ribs in an Asian steamer pan?
    I steam mine until they are almost falling off the bone, then put 'em on the grill to finish 'em up. This works for even the toughest beef short ribs.
    -Joe

2. Kecia says:

Thanks for the info on the better way to cook ribs Chris. I always boil my ribs first and they come out great but I have to try the indirect heat method on the grill. Keep the recipes coming. I love to collect them so when I am ready, I can do my work in the kitchen…..

3. Jaye says:

Hi Chris- In case you are still looking for black pudding in the Toronto area, Sweet Spot (at 4630 Kingston Rd, just East of Galloway Rd and West of Morningside), sells them on Fridays, Sat and Sun- around $8.00 lb, with the yummiest mango chutney. I tried them in the Scottish bakery and will never do that again- bland and tasteless, certainly not like how my father used to make them. Enjoy.

4. The Gnome says:

Great tips once again Chris. Thanks!

5. Megadon says:

I dont eat pork what about beef ribs chris can u post a beef ribs recipe or should I create one and send it to you?

6. Pamela says:

Hey Chris,
    I just purchased a slab of ribs and will definitely follow your suggestions and tips.
    Can't hardly wait to eat them and I might not share……Thanks

7. I've been in the restaurant business for 46 years. I once employed a corporate chef who was cajun.
    He gave me his family technique. Season the ribs( dry rub) let sit for up to 3 hours. In a baking pan mix 6 oz. liquid smoke with 6 oz lime juice and two cups of water. Place the ribs on a rack, over the liquid( not touching the liquid), leaving the dry rub on the ribs. Cover the pan and ribs with aluminum foil, then puncture the foil several times to let some steam escape. Set oven at 275 f, place ribs in the middle of the oven and cook for 2 hours. Let ribs cool. set grill at a low temperature, baste ribs with bbq sauce, grill 2 minutes per side. I can't give you the recipes for the rub or the bbq sauce because he now owns a bbq restaurant in Louisianna and told me that he'd have to kill me if I ever gave out the recipes
    Try this method. The ribs come out tender, flavorful, and "falling off the bone"
    Bon Appetit!
    George

8. maureen says:

i always look forward to ur recipes i think i like this one a lot

9. Jina says:

hi chris, i just luv your style of cooking, so unique, keep up the good work.

10. Janice, luckily enough there’s an Italian bakery locally here that I just found, that bakes some mean hops bread as well.

I’m still trying to source some black pudding. I found some in a British food store, but they were rather bland.

Hope you’re enjoy the warm Bermuda weather.. it’s already cold here

happy cooking

chris…
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..El Yucateco Salsa Picante De Chile Habanero Green Hot Sauce Review. =-.

• Oldst Owns says:

I know I'm very late here but I also use the Italian bread for hops bread too.
      My mother in law told me that if I want it long time style just sprinkle some water on the top and put them in the toaster oven to warm up and when it's done the top will become the crackly king from long time Crown Bakery days.

I'm trying your ribs recipe this weekend.

Jake

11. Janice Swan says:

Hi Chris: Always look forward to your emails. Here in Bermuda, I get hops bread from the local Portuguese bakery and it goes great with buljol and with Portuguese black pudding which tastes just like home!!

12. Re: Nelissa. Funny you should mention Trinidad cheese. I never understood why my dad would say that Trinidad cheese was so much better than what we get here in Canada.. until a few days ago! We just came back from a couple weeks in T&T and made a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast the first morning. WOW! Simply amazing. BTW the cheese we have in T&T is from New Zealand and is what they would call a white medium cheddar. Yes, i was hooked and had to hit “Hi Lo” to get my daily fix. As far as hops bread go, you won’t find the very same thing, however the Italian bakeries usually have some buns that are very similar.

happy cooking

Chris
    .-= Chris De La Rosa´s last blog ..How to make green Mango Chutney. =-.

13. Nelissa says:

where dyu get hops bread in Toronto?
    any ideas how to get Trinidad cheese too?
    I miss hops bread with guava jam and cheese!

14. Chris says:

Thanks for dropping by Celya. Only last week we were visiting my parents in Toronto and they just so happened to have a smoked ham in the oven. I made some killer sandwiches on some "hops" bread.

I remember as a kid my dad would go to hilo to preorder our Christmas ham.. I believe the brand was maple leaf and it came in a sort of bag (burlap/ crocus)like wrapping.
    [rq=161199,0,blog][/rq]The Lululemon Athletica Warehouse Sale Hamilton.

15. Celya Lister says:

I enjoyed your recipes even though I did not find my fave breakfast dishes from TnT.The best breakfast snack for me at home was Arepa and chutney.Every xmas I make lots of Pastelles to eat with the traditional smokedham and Chow-chow(Called Piccalilli in the UK)I do not bake them but the Pastelles are steamed and they are eaten with hot pepper sauce.I look forward to your Hot Sauce.