Categorized |Vegetarian

Buss Up Shut Roti Made Easy!

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Buss Up Shut Roti Made Easy!”.

180 Responses to “Buss Up Shut Roti Made Easy!”

1. AJ says:

Thank you so much for the roti recipie! There’s nothing like it with curry chicken! I’ve been waiting for this!

2. Keitth58 says:

I don't think Chris gave the full story about the name buss up shirt. What I recall was that when the TV series incredible hulk became popular some of our Afro Trinidadian brethren thought that the roti we knew as paratha looked like the buss up shirt of the incredible hulk……so eventually bussup shirt became buss up shut.

• jumbieg says:

boss you had me on the floor laughing with that one oui! Can someone confirm this?

• Michael says:

I am 65 and hear my father calling it buss-up-shut since i was small I don't think it came from that TV show the "hulk"
        I know it was like SILK Shirt that was rip up so it got it's Trini name buss-up-shut or buss-up shirt

3. Brenda Hoyte says:

I tried the roti and it came out almost perfect THANKS AGAIN

Brenda

4. Brenda Hoyte says:

Thank you very much ,this is the best explaination I've ever seen, it was well put together and I think I will be able to make it. I always wanted to make roti for my family and thanks to you I think I will finally be able to make it now. I will try it tomorrow God's willing. Again I say thanks

Brenda

5. Mary says:

I have wanted to learn how to make Roti for years. I saw a recipe for making it some time ago but it was intimidating. Your step by step instructions and pictures are perfect. I believe I can try it and get a good product. I love roti with curry chicken. Awesome. Thanks again Chris

6. Vernesha Blackman says:

I'm soooo glad I found this website…..My mom always made it like a totiilla until my granny came a few yrs ago with this version an I WAS HOOKED, but I had NO clue on how to make it. I made it a few weeks ago but it wasn't quite the same….:( the only thing different I did was I let it rest for like 2 hrs an an used a skillet instead because I have a flat top an not a gas stove, maybe that's why it didn't turn out right……I'll definitely be trying again :) thanks again for ALLLLLL the recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jumbieg says:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. Do contact me if you have any questions. i'm sure you'll master it soon enough.

• Vernesha says:

I was wondering if you have a recipe to include spilt peas into the roti….how would you cook the peas an what spices if any would you incorporate an then add it to the skin??? Thanks

7. lette says:

my husband have true sweet hand but girl he can't make de buss-up shut unless he follow your recipe .
    my sons i and so glad you have this on the web……

8. monica says:

i made this for my family and they loved it

9. Laurie Shulterbrandt says:

Thank you for the step by step photos. I always wonder how to make "buss up shut". Thanks also for explaining where the name come from. I was curious about that. Great recipies Chris, keep them comming.

• jumbieg says:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Always appreciated.

• nadeenno1 says:

Best roti I have ever made…..yum yum

I followed your recipe step by step guide and made the perfect roti today to go with chicken curry and rice. I also made the green seasoning and it tastes GREAT……can't wait to try some more recipes tom…..

10. Felix says:

Nice post Chris. You're really representing Trini cooking! :-)

11. Thank you for the detailed instructions & step by step photographs.
    I never used the oil & margarine mixture. I ought to try this :)
    BTW, what the diameter of your tawa? Will it work on electric stove?

• jumbieg says:

I think it's about 12 inches. If you stove have the rings, it should work. but if you have one of those flat surface ones.. good luck. My sis can't use her flat surface one with any success with the tawa.

• Vernesha says:

OOoh, I can actually help with this one….I have a flat top as well an tried to use the "skillet" method an it didn't work…. so what I did was used the little gas range stoves you use when your camping an put my tawa on top of that bad boy an violla……….PERFECTION :):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jean says:

I am a very happy Trini to-day, thanks Chris for the demo of making buss up shut. I am making this evening.

13. jenelle peele says:

thank you very much i just have to try this mine always come out like tortia LOL;;

14. Natasha Cross says:

Boy i am so glad to see this here!! I LOVEEEEEEE buss-up-shot!

15. dalia says:

i make a mean curry but have always been stymied by the roti making process… i am so happy you posted this! i love to eat roti skin plain, so this is good whether i've got the meat to put with it or not!

• jumbieg says:

Let me know how you make out. i tried my best to give step by step instructions.

• ilajeh says:

Thank you for this recipe, I tried it last night and it looked right but it was a little cripsy and after it cooled it became very stilff. Is that right? The dough was nice and soft, did I roll it out too thin? Maybe I kept it too long on the tava? I was afraid of having raw dough. How do I get it to stay soft or is crispy okay?

1. […] recipe is from The Caribbean Pot, though I did add some sugar to my dough as called for in some other recipes; I also didn’t […]

2. […] Measurement References: http://caribbeanpot.com/buss-up-shut-roti-made-easy/ […]

3. […] in a watercress salad, red beans, rice, stewed chicken and fresh pepper sauce.  My sister made paratha roti, curried chicken, channa and aloo(chickpeas with potatoes) and kuchela.  So we got our call back […]

4. […] I found this recipe, and gave it a shot. It needed the resting time, and I didn’t give it that. I also think it […]

5. […] curry chicken & roti for dinner – […]

6. […] the chance to in December, graduating in the Caribbean has a better ring to it! After a feast of buss up shut for lunch, Roger gave an emotional speech, wishing our graduates well for the future, not only will […]