Categorized |Beef

A classic lazy-man dish using canned corned beef.

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “A classic lazy-man dish using canned corned beef.”.

72 Responses to “A classic lazy-man dish using canned corned beef.”

1. kristal says:

im a trini so I’ve curried it with potatoes ( i know so cliché ) lol

2. Alex says:

Mix it in with macaroni or it goes well with dumplings as well great quick fix for dinner ….

3. leanne says:

we use peppers sweetcorn all purpose curry garlic ginger curry powder chopped tomatoes salt and pepper in ours

4. ann says:

My husband Rudy is bajan he sometimes puts a little curry powder in this dish and it tastes good

5. Miranda says:

Bully Beef!!!! We make it w/ garlic, onion, scotch bonnet, tomato, & fresh thyme. Serve it w/ left-over rice & fried plantains…maybe a few eggs

6. Linda says:

Not bad but I’ve never done mine like this and I’m from the Caribbean. Just a word of advice, that brand has the most sodium for canned corned beef.

7. Cordelia Lewis says:

I love cornbeef and Mac and cheese,salade,or I cook rice,my sons love to make sandwiches with the cornbeef.I made cornbeef cake almost like fishcake,just the way you make the salf fish cake ,the same way you make the cornbeef cakes

8. Louise says:

I’m really happy to see this because I have never seen corned beef cooked like this outside of Mauritius, and most people I mention this recipe to find it strange. We always made it very basic with onions and hot green chillis fried in garlic and ginger, and the mashed corned beef added to it. Usually ate it with crusty bread, sometimes with pasta.

9. Julia Child says:

They don’t make the cornbeef like the way they used to make it. “Long Time” the cornbeef when you cooked it, it had a nice smell and there were no fat at all, it would fry nice and crispy, like sugar cake and was very red in colour. Unlike today’s cornbeef, where it smells bad and when cooked its very soggy and contains a lot of fat.

10. Julie Dictter says:

I remember this delicious dish. However, my mom would also add cabbage to the recipe. The best!

11. PK says:

Iv always used butter to fry garlic ginger and onions in before adding the beef and tinned tomatoes. I use proper fragranced basmati rice and depending on how I feel I put rice on the side or add it when cooked to the complete dish right at the end. Stunning.

12. Rachel says:

Hi Chris

As a West Indian corn beef is a comfort food. My Mum would season the corn beef – onions, sweet pepper, pepper sauce, add some ketchep. She would boil a handful of elbow macaroni and then add the cooked macaroni to the seasoned corn beef. Then she would add one egg that was beaten in enough milk which she would add to the corn beef mixture. Place the corn beef mixture in the bottom of a greased baking dish and top with seasoned mashed potatoes. You may add some cheese to the mashed potatoes if you like. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Basically shepherd pie but with corn beef. You can add carrots if you like. We would have that with a nice green salad and fried plantain.

13. Greg says:

True to the spirit of the dish, I made a few substitutions based on what happened to be in my fridge. I didn’t have any habaneros, ketchup or scallions, so instead I used chipotles, marinara sauce, and some finally chopped green beans (more for the sake of using them up than an honest attempt to replicate scallions…) respectively. I really like how it turned out – the flavour was fresher than I was expecting, and the chipotles gave me precisely the level of heat I wanted. Would definitely make again!

14. Harcourt Bethel says:

In the Bahamas we do it the same way, BUT with added tomato paste and served with grits… we call it “Fire Engine”

15. Mother peppa says:

I use it the same way too but I also add a can of sweet corn or sweet peas to make it stretch you can also use a can of mixed vegetables. And call it Christmas lunch . Kids love it